ASK Manager App
Evidence-based practice is all about your capacity to ask questions – questions about the evidence supporting (or contradicting) a claim, assumption, or hypothesis. As Neil deGrasse Tyson stated “Questions are kind of an inoculation against people telling you stuff and having you believe whatever they say”.
Asking questions to identify uncertainties – or the need for evidence – is therefore the first step of evidence-based practice. Typical questions to ask are:
- What is the problem you are trying to solve?
- How urgent and important is this problem?
- What is the evidence for this problem (and its assumed cause)?
- Were multiple sources consulted?
- What are possible solutions?
- How are these solutions assumed to solve the problem?
- What is the available evidence for these solutions?
- How trustworthy is this evidence?
The ASK-Manager helps managers, leaders and policymakers identifying uncertainties by providing a checklist of critical questions to ask before making an important decision.